Very easy and delicious chocolate cake, with whipped cream and mascarpone cheese filling and chocolate topping. We prepared the cake in a food processor, but it’s equally easy to mix the ingredients in a bowl with a whisker and a spatula. It’s best to use a jam with whole cherries to spread on the cake as it gives extra flavour and texture. This cake was baked in a 20 cm spring cake tin. Serve decorated with a dollop of whipped cream and glacé cherries. Enjoy!
Do you like our recipes?
Follow us on Facebook, to have our delicious ideas, inspirations and recipes delivered directly to your wall! Don’t forget to share them with your friends!
- 6 eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g plain flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g butter melted but not hot
- 150 ml ruby port
- 300 ml double cream
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp cherry jam
- 40 g milk chocolate
- 40 g dark chocolate
- 40 g butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- Whip the cream using an electric whisker or a food processor.
- Add the icing sugar, mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract, and mix all together on a low speed.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and the baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Break the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric whisker, until stiff, add the sugar, spoon by spoon, at the very end.
- Reduce the speed of the whisker and add the yolks one by one.
- When it's combined start adding the flour mix, spoon by spoon, still mixing slowly. Add the butter and mix well on a very low speed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan assisted.
- Grease a spring cake tin with a bit of butter, transfer the mixture into the tin. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the cake from the tin, cut the cake in half horizontally, spoon over the port, over both parts of the cake (it should soak in).
- Spread the bottom half with the cherry jam, spoon over the filling, distributing it evenly, and cover with the top half of the cake.
- Melt the chocolate and the butter in a microwave, or over a hot water bath.
- Once melted add the milk and mix well.
- Spoon over the cake and even out wit a spatula.
- Put the cake into a fridge for an hour.
- Serve decorated with whipped cream and glacé cherries.
We cook, we taste, we rate!
All recipes on this website have been cooked, tasted and rated. Cooking times may vary depending on appliance. All ratings are subject to individual taste.