Mince pies with mince meat filling made of raisins, currants, ruby port, apple and brandy with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
They look great on every Christmas table and they are delicious. You simply can’t celebrate Christmas without traditional mince pies.
We baked them in mini tart tins, but you can also use a muffin tin. Dust them generously with icing sugar before serving. Enjoy.
Do you like our recipes?
Follow us on Facebook, to have our delicious ideas, inspirations and recipes delivered directly to your wall! Don’t forget to share them with your friends!
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 350 g flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50 ml ruby port
- 50 ml brandy
- 250 g raisins
- 250 g dried currants
- 1 green apple, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon, grated
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Put the port and sugar into a large pan, bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cranberries, raisins, apple, lemon juice and zest, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger, simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, until fruits start to break and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, add the honey and brandy, mix well and allow to cool.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and salt, mix together.
- Add the chopped butter and rub it into the flour, until it starts looking like breadcrumbs. Try doing it quickly, to prevent the butter from melting.
- Form a ball and knead it for a short while.
- If the butter doesn’t mix well with flour, add 2 - 3 tablespoons of cold water.
- Roll out the pastry and line mini tart tins with it (you can also use a muffin tin).
- Spoon the mince meat on top of each pastry, cut out the stars from the remaining pastry and arrange on top, brush it with beaten egg.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan assisted) and bake for 20 minutes, until the stars on top are golden brown.
- Allow to cool, dust with icing sugar and serve.
We cook, we taste, we rate!
All recipes on this website have been cooked, tasted and rated. Cooking times may vary depending on appliance. All ratings are subject to individual taste.