Delicious, full of flavour and very aromatic, slow cooked Moroccan beef stew with spices typical for the cuisine – ras el hanout, ginger, rose petals, cinnamon, cardamon and cumin.
This stew is simply delicious and full of flavours. Typical Moroccan spices give this dish its deep aroma. Carrots, butternut squash and prunes make the stew slightly sweet. The sweetness is well balanced by sourness of tomatoes and acidity of coriander. We prepared our dish in a slow cooker. It can also be prepared in a large sauce pan. To do this follow all the steps of the recipe below, place the pan on a stove and simmer on a very low heat, stirring from time to time, until the beef is very soft. It usually shouldn’t take longer than 3 – 4 hours.
We served the stew with cous cous, generously sprinkled with coarsely chopped coriander. Enjoy.
Do you like our recipes?
Follow us on Facebook, to have our delicious ideas, inspirations and recipes delivered directly to your wall! Don’t forget to share them with your friends!
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout
- 1 tsp dried rose petals
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of ground cardamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 600 g diced stewing beef
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained and washed (400 g)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400 g)
- 4 small tomatoes quartered
- 400 g butternut squash, diced
- 150 g prunes, sliced into small pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 150 ml beef stock
- fresh coriander
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small glass. Place beef in a bowl, pour the marinade all over and mix well to coat all beef pieces. Cover the bowl with cling film and put into fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and fry for 2 - 3 minutes until softened. Add the beef and fry for 4 - 5 minutes until browned.
- Transfer the beef and onion into a warmed up slow cooker dish. Add the tinned tomatoes and stock, stir well and add carrots, quartered tomatoes, butternut squash and stir once again.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn it on auto setting and let the dish simmer for 7 - 8 hours until beef is very soft.
- An hour before the end of the cooking add prunes and chickpeas.
- Serve with cous cous decorated with coarsely chopped coriander.
Nutrition per 1 portion*
*all values estimated, depend on products used
We cook, we taste, we rate!
All recipes on this website have been cooked, tasted and rated. Cooking times may vary depending on appliance. All ratings are subject to individual taste.