Red cabbage with cranberries, red wine, onion and a hint of cloves is perfect Christmas side dish.
It tastes delicious when served with beef or venison stew or as an side dish on your Christmas table. If you don’t have fresh cranberries handy, you can always use dried ones, just don’t add any more sugar (as in the recipe). Enjoy!
Do you like our recipes?
Follow us on Facebook, to have our delicious ideas, inspirations and recipes delivered directly to your wall! Don’t forget to share them with your friends!
- small red cabbage, washed and thinly sliced (600 g)
- 100 g fresh cranberries
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml dry red wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add the onion and fry for 5 - 6 minutes, stirring from time to time, until slightly caramelised.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring from time to time, until cabbage starts to soften.
- Pour in the wine and stock, stir in the cloves, sugar and balsamic vinegar, reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and cook covered for 10 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot as a side dish.
We cook, we taste, we rate!
All recipes on this website have been cooked, tasted and rated. Cooking times may vary depending on appliance. All ratings are subject to individual taste.