Delicious homemade sourdough bread, made with wholegrain rye flour mixed with strong bread flour to give the bread its crunchy crust.
To prepare this bread you will need a sourdough starter. The easiest way to get it is to buy it on eBay. There’s a great selection of starters available – from the original San Francisco starters to continental ones.
We prepared our dough in Thermomix but any food processor with kneading setting should be fine.
The starter needs to be “fed” 12 hours before using it for the dough. We “fed” our starter with 100 g of rye flour mixed with 100 g of lukewarm water.
We added some black olives an herbes de provence to our dough, it gave the bread fantastic Mediterranean flavour. This bread tastes also great with pumpkin seeds, sesame or walnuts.
We baked it in 21 cm long silicone mould. The ingredients in the recipe will give you 2 loaves.
Do you like our recipes?
Follow us on Facebook, to have our delicious ideas, inspirations and recipes delivered directly to your wall! Don’t forget to share them with your friends!
- 340 g sourdough starter
- 200 g wholegrain rye flour
- 230 g strong bread flour
- 240 g lukewarm water
- 15 g sea salt
- 50 g rapeseed oil
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor’s mixing bowl, put the processor on a dough setting and knead the ingredients for 5 minutes.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and let it rest for 20 minutes, then knead again in the processor for 3 more minutes.
- Divide the dough between two loaf tins and even the top of each loaf with a moist hand. Cover it with a kitchen towel and leave to rise for 2.5 - 3 hours.
- Once the dough’s risen preheat the oven to 200°C, spray the inside of the oven with cold water and place both tins on the bottom shelf.
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce the temperature to 180°C and bake for 40 more minutes.
- For a crunchy and shiny crust spray the top of each loaf with cold water 3 - 4 minutes before the end of baking.
- Remove tins from the oven, take out the loaf from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition per 1 portion* (slice)
*all values estimated, depend on products used
We cook, we taste, we rate!
All recipes on this website have been cooked, tasted and rated. Cooking times may vary depending on appliance. All ratings are subject to individual taste.