Light, delicious and vegetarian – aubergines stuffed with mushrooms, flat leaf parsley, fresh thyme, walnuts and tomatoes covered with mozzarella cheese. This dish is really easy to prepare. Remember to dip the aubergines in a hot water before scooping out the flesh, to soften the skin. They need to be dipped for 10 minutes and turned over after 5 minutes, to make the skin evenly soft on both sides. Serve with steamed basmati rice, decorated with fresh thyme. Enjoy!
Do you like our recipes?
Follow us on Facebook, to have our delicious ideas, inspirations and recipes delivered directly to your wall! Don’t forget to share them with your friends!
- 2 medium aubergines
- 250 g mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 50 g walnut pieces
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (leaves only)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 beef tomato, sliced
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Boil some water in a large pan, dip in the aubergines, remove from heat, cover and leave for 10 minutes. The aubergines will float on the top of the water, so turn them once after 5 minutes to have both sides softened.
- Remove from water and cut them in half, leave the stem. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh and chop into small pieces, leaving the skin intact.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and garlic and soften for 2 - 3 minutes, add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 3 more minutes, add the aubergine flesh, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat and mix the filling with parsley and thyme. Season with the sea salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the aubergine shells, scatter the walnuts on top and place the tomato slices on top of the walnuts.
- Place the shells in a large baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan assisted), put the aubergines in and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cover each aubergine with the mozzarella slices, put back in the oven and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes, until mozzarella has melted and nicely browned.
- Serve with freshly steamed rice.
We cook, we taste, we rate!
All recipes on this website have been cooked, tasted and rated. Cooking times may vary depending on appliance. All ratings are subject to individual taste.