This apple pie is always delicious. Delicate and mouth watering with plenty of sweet apples. To bake it we used 20 cm spring tin form. Remember to work with the pastry quickly. Butter should stay cold all the time, otherwise the pastry might not be as delicate as it should be. We usually do the pastry in a food processor. It’s much quicker and butter doesn’t get warm. Always try your apples, depending on variety, they might need more sugar. Serve hot or warm (use microwave to reheat) dusted with icing sugar, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy.
Do you like our recipes?
Follow us on Facebook, to have our delicious ideas, inspirations and recipes delivered directly to your wall! Don’t forget to share them with your friends!
- 400 g plain flour
- 200 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 kg bramley apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 egg whites beaten with 50 g sugar
- 50 g sultanas
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and the baking powder, mix together.
- Add the cubed butter and rub the butter into the flour until it starts looking like breadcrumbs. Try doing it quickly, to prevent butter from melting.
- Add the yolks and the buttermilk and knead quickly until combined.
- Divide the dough. Wrap 2/3 of the dough in a cling film and chill for 30 minutes, put the rest of the dough into a freezer.
- Dice the apples into small cubes, transfer them into a large sauce pan.
- Add 3 tbsp brown sugar, sultanas and the cinnamon and cook them over a medium heat for 6 - 7 minutes, until soft, but still in pieces. Taste them, if they're to sour, add some more sugar.
- Transfer them into a large sifter or colander to drain them and allow to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted).
- Grease the cake tin with some butter, roll out the chilled pastry and line the bottom and the sides of the tin with it.
- Transfer the apples into the tin.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and shiny adding the sugar at the very end, pour it over the apples.
- Remove the rest of the pastry from the freezer, and grate it coarsely with a grater over the egg whites.
- Bake in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes, until golden.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar, with whipped cream or vanilla ice creams, hot or cold.
We cook, we taste, we rate!
All recipes on this website have been cooked, tasted and rated. Cooking times may vary depending on appliance. All ratings are subject to individual taste.